Monday 3 May 2010

Content

Before I can really begin designing layouts, I need to know exactly what the content is and how many images, words, columns it will take up etc. As I wrote in my brief I want to 'Design a set of magazine/newspaper supplements that explore regional dialect and phrases within the everyday English language.' I found a few books on this topic, and after deciding to narrow it down to 5 regions, one per supplement, and deciding to go with Yorkshire, Lancashire, Liverpool, Newcastle and London's cockney slang, I came across this set of books that I could get some good use out of:
















It was just lucky that the same publisher's had all 5 regions that I wanted to use, proving that they are common areas to use to get some strong content about.

Here are some of their dictionary style pages that will help towards the body text element and I have found potential phrases and idioms to design typography layouts with.

Cockney Slang








Yorkshire:








Newcastle 'Geordie'








Lancashire:








Liverpool 'Scouse'

























As well as these I want to include my own location photography of the chosen areas. I have already visited and captured four out of the five locations, with only Liverpool to go.









However, I don't want to make the design all about the photography, as I am mainly wanting to experiment with typography designs and layout. Therefore I have just chosen a few images to play around with at the minute and will probably only end up having the one image to sum up that region on each supplement to allow more room for type.

It might be that they are faded in the background with type overlaying them, or slotted into a corner for the type to sit around the photographs shapes, or taking on a duotone effect to link in with the colours of each supplement - this is something I will now begin to develop as I start designing my layouts.

Yorkshire

















Lancashire












Newcastle




















London
























No comments:

Post a Comment