Tuesday 20 April 2010

Beginning Design Practice 2

The workshop session helped us to analyse ourselves, our skills and interests. The key questions we had to keep asking ourselves were:

What are you doing?
Why are you doing it?
















I narrowed the 5 briefs down to 3 to work those questions against them:












































When narrowing what I want to get out of the brief, there are 3 areas I learned that I must include; Content, Product, Context.

Content examples:
  • subject
  • information
  • generate images
  • generate research
  • deliver a message
  • communicate opinions
Product examples:
  • format
  • media
  • process
  • form
Context examples:
  • promotion
  • retail
  • information graphics
  • publications
































I may be driven by one area more than the other two, but by starting with what I know I want, will hopefully help the brief fall into place. However, it can get quite confusing!

For example: Making a book. The book is the format, print is the media/process, publication is the context.

In terms of my practice:
'I want to make a magazine spread' = Product driven
'I want to design for publication' = Context driven

No comments:

Post a Comment